Friday, July 1, 2011

It's a chicken thing, you wouldn't understand.

Today I got the honor of taking Friday off from work!! But, don't jump to conclusions too fast...because today sleeping in was not a part of it. Nor was any thing that I would typically do. Today was totally out of the norm: I got to visit the Chicken Place!!! aka...
Lucky me, I was up early (a bit to my demise) and driven to Orland, Indiana by Mr. Clayton. Orland is the home to the processing plant for Miller Poultry. Once there I was given a hair net, ear plugs and a fancy white lab coat. Dressed for 40 degree weather, I was ready to be given a tour of the plant - from chicken in cage to chicken in package.

The "city" girl, or non-farmer, has officially watched the killing of thousands of chickens and I didn't pass out, I didn't throw up, and I actually ate breakfast, lunch and dinner! I think a lot had to do with how clean the place was! I honestly did not think a chicken processing plant could be so clean and not have much of a smell to it, but it was!!

So let me describe for you a bit of what I saw: the chickens come live, caged on semi trucks. Once they are unloaded from the trucks they are hung by their feet on a processing line. They enter a dark room so to calm them. At one point while on the line they enter a box like structure which stuns them, literally they go in the box a bit stiff, to come out completely limp. From here their necks a slashed, but not the backbone so that the heart continues pumping. From here the processing line takes them through a plucker, and their feathers are removed to look a little something like this:

From here feet are removed, guts are strategically taken out, the chickens are beheaded and a blood/wet feather mixture gushes through a hole in the floor. Of course there's more detail to it than that, but that's a glorified version. Next chickens are weighed, cut and the parts are separated accordingly - for example: boneless skinless breasts, wings, thighs, tender strips, etc., with about 19 in all! Packaged to look like:

What a day: I am now able to better understand a topic which once seemed so foreign at one point. Now I by no means understand it all (as can easily be told by this novice observation) but I have a greater appreciation for what's done.

And once again I am reminded of my minute role and place in the monstrosity of God's world-how little I know and how much more I can only learn!!

So come Saturday afternoon, its time to head back to Indianapolis..to be with my family and get back to learning more of the Sports Marketing world.

2 comments:

  1. You tell that Miller Poultry Guy that he's got some competition on Amish Highway 35! I'm about to process all the chickens that we've been raising for the fair. The biggies are about 9 pounds with the biggest breasts you've ever seen, oh wait, ... never mind. :)

    LOVE reading your blog! And I feel just a wee bit closer to Colts-ville.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Girl, I bet you just missed kyle. He was at Miller Poultry 2 weeks ago for an audit. You should've met up :)

    Miss you!!

    ReplyDelete