Friday, November 25, 2011

Saying Good-Bye to Grandpa

When an individuals earthly life ends, those who remain must find ways to cope.

It was November 25, when I had to say good-bye to Grandpa (the first of my grandparents to pass).

Grandpa had been living in a nursing home for four years at the time he suffered a mild stroke. Shortly thereafter his health took a turn for the worse. Never before have I sat alongside of an individual as they die. A powerfully draining week.

Yet, through the tough times, it provided a unique opportunity for The White Family to come together. We spent many late nights beside Grandpa's bed, both laughing and crying where some of the greatest memories surfaced.


Here's my absolute favorite photo, which was taken just a few days before his passing:

Dear Grandpa,
I love you! Forever I will cherish the summers I got to spend with you and grandma--our adventures at Lemon Lake and our many attempts at catching squirrels in your backyard. Because of who you were and all that you did, I embrace my love for the Game Show Network, afternoon naps, corduroy recliners, and most of all ice cream (or just my love for sweats in general). You will forever be a part of my life--I am me because of you! I can't wait to see you again soon!
Love Always,
Alicia

May you Rest In Peace, PJ. Until we meet again!

No comments:

Post a Comment