Monday, September 5, 2011

My first return to GC as an alumnus...and a guest speaker

On Labor Day, when most offices are closed, Goshen College continues on with normal routine. As a student I always complained-we had to be the only school around who had classes this day. So this year, as a newly titled college grad, one would presume that I gladly took my day off from work and did absolutely nothing, right?...Wrong. On the 5th day of September, which we endearingly call Labor Day, I found myself in the Goshen College classroom in Newcomer Center.

Truth, I was in the classroom, but it was also true that I was not a customary classroom situation. I didn't come to this class to sit and learn, but rather I found myself at the front of the room, teaching... never in a million years would I have thought that just a few weeks into the new school year (aka just a few weeks after I had officially become an alumnus of Goshen College) that I would be speaking to sophomores, juniors and seniors in a Principles of Public Relations class from my "vast array of knowledge".

I speak the previous words with a hint of sarcasm, but in all honestly I was completely honored to be asked by one of my previous professors, Pat McFarland, to speak to her class. I was given the full 50 minutes to speak on my previous internship with IU Health Goshen and my current one with the Indianapolis Colts.

Going into the class I did not expect to have the entire time dedicated to presentation. Surprisingly (and luckily so), the time flew by and students were engaged in the session. I was very pleased that it was formatted as a question and answer period. More importantly, I was extremely impressed with students' questions and engagement of the topic at hand (my life as an intern!).

Good Ol' GC, wasn't sure that I would find myself saying this, but I am honored to call myself an alumnus from this school.

No comments:

Post a Comment